Thursday, May 01, 2008

Quick finds

My mind is on the theatre this week, so of course that's all I see out there in the world of the web.

Here's a new collection of essays on African American women playwrights:
Contemporary African American Women Playwrights: A Casebook, by Philip Kolin. Read an article about it here.

I was going to order it, but it's $120.00! So, it's to the library for me.

Laurence Fishburne is doing a one-man show on Thurgood Marshall's life in NYC. Read the NYTimes story.
I am a hopeless Fishburne fan - hopefully I can get up there to see him in this show.

And ...
Mediabistro's Galleycat has an interesting post up - short though - about whether women's fiction covers are anti-feminist. You know the focus on pink, the backs of women's bodies, body parts, shoes and shopping bags. I read it yesterday and today and it made me ask whether urban fiction covers are racist.
They often focus on hyper sexual images of Black people.
The books and the art are very focused on hard, thug life stereotypes.
Maybe they are actually anti-feminist and racist too. A two-fer in your local bookstore.

No comments: