Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Pre-dawn links

Before I head off into the world of kid drop offs and day work ... a few links.

There's a small town in New York with two independent bookstores downtown. People are upset about the new, upstart store. I'm a little envious that they have both stores.

Tayari Jones contemplates the use of "good hair" in a description of her upcoming novel. What do you think when you read that?

Check out the Crab Orchard Review special issue focused on shaping the new South - found on Practicing Writing.

Did you know that people still burn books? Well a church in Florida plans to burn the Quran on 9/11. That is just hateful and ignorant.

Two libraries have banned a "gay-themed" book. The book, Revolutionary Voices, is an anthology of work by queer youth. I haven't read the book, so I can't comment on the actual content. It does make me sad that a book that might be helpful to teens who are looking for themselves or their friends in the pages of books, is now unavailable to them. I assume all the similar hetero books are safely on the shelves.

No comments: